Before discussing steps one needs to take in order to start a career in professional makeup, we need to understand who is a make-up artist and what is his role?
Who is a makeup artist?
A make-up artist is one who employs cosmetic techniques & procedures to transform the appearance of a person from plain Jane to ravishing beauty. The makeup artist has a good sense of colours as well as shades and specializes in diverse makeup application techniques like airbrushing, special effects, light bending, theatrical, prosthetics, or high definition. He applies these techniques to not only enhance the positives but hide the flaws as well. Thus, not only increasing the client’s confidence but also augmenting his personality.
Mantras of a successful makeup artist:
- He must be up-to-date with the ensuing trend, customer tastes, social norms as well as diverse cosmetics products available in the market.
- He must have an understanding of the skin type and facial features along with the relevant cosmetics that will suit the same. Along with this, he also must display knowledge about the ways to reduce the effects of varied cosmetics on the skin.
- Understanding of the allied fields -hairstyling, photography process, and lighting will enhance the business.
Besides this, a makeup artist is in great demand in performing arts. He employs prosthetics and other makeup artistry to create imaginative characters and thus assist in bringing alive the director’s visualisation to life. He also collaborates with fashion designers so as to help bring alive his concepts for presenting the new collection to buyers.
In order to start a career as a professional makeup artist, you need the following:
Build your skills:
- Communication skills to not only comprehend the client’s specific requirements, but also his concerns.
- Interpersonal skills are required to work with your team, explaining in detail the client’s requirements, etc.
- Networking skills will help build clientele as well as connect with the other stakeholders to facilitate business growth.
- With sketching skills, you can sketch your makeup visualizations for the client’s approval
- Knowledge about lighting, backdrops, surroundings, and colours, etc. will help in better makeup application. Maintain proper hygiene, safety, and sanitation
- Organisational skills and Proper time management skills will help in handling multiple clients and the respective deadlines.
- Updated work portfolio will help in client pitches. Also, it will help to showcase your versatility in handling varied makeup techniques
Take up Professional Makeup Courses
- Certificate from accredited College recognised at both national as well as international level
- The curriculum must offer holistic learning about Make-up that is in sync with modern trends as well as International looks and styles
- The curriculum must offer competencies in skin science, beauty & general cosmetology, skincare, skin & hair types, and facial features
- Understanding of modern cosmetics, their application basis skin/hair types must also be taught at these colleges
- College must offer to learn about makeup etiquettes and hygiene
- Knowledge must be offered about occasion-specific makeup, lighting, shadow, photography, etc.
- College must ensure hands-on training